Friday, August 1, 2008

I had off work today, which was a joy in itself. But, to top it off I spent the morning and afternoon with my daughter before she returns to Texas tomorrow. This week has gone by so quickly. We talk with each other every week, but it's just not the same as seeing her, talking to her in person, watching her little gestures and nuances. Sometimes, I look at her and wonder in amazement that this is the infant I held over 23 years ago. She is self-assured, confident in herself, independent. Those traits alone make me proud of her.

We went back to Hummelstown to The Soda Jerk for a late breakfast, and this time I was able to get a pic of the huge ice cream cone they have on top of their building.



We had delicious "Soda Jerk Omelets" with hash browns and lots of coffee. And we talked and we laughed and we cried. All in all, breakfast took well over an hour. Then right next door to the restaurant is a little shop called "The Sweet Treat". This shop has all kinds of handmade candies, penny candy that I haven't seen since I was a child. We wandered around in there for a while looking at all the sweets--didn't buy too much--have to behave in that arena!

Then, on to the Rhoads' Pharmacy. This pharmacy is truly a pharmacy, but it also houses the biggest gift shop that I've ever seen--two floors of gift shop! I bought a Boyds' Bear birthday card for a friend of mine because she loves Boyds' Bears. Now, all I have to do is remember where I put the card until December!!

Off to the Hershey Outlets where this child of mine purchased a new pair of jeans and 3 new tops for less than $30. She has also turned into a good shopper and is always looking for bargains.

Back to home again! A friend of my kids (and all 3 of my kids have the same friends--they have all hung out together for years!) is having a farewell cook out. She leaves early tomorrow morning, and then I won't see her until Christmas again.

She raided my dishcloth drawer on the second day she was here. That's okay because I'm always making more.

Last night I started this hot pad. I finished it and another one today. One will be for her home and another for her work. She waitresses while she is attending school, and I don't want her to burn her fingers.



This are crocheted hotpads, double thick--and I have to thank my friend, Kathy, for the pattern. I love these--they work up so quickly and are so easy to make!! I added a layer of Insul-Bright in between the layers so they'll be a little more heat resistant. I think they turned out fairly well for my first attempt at making these.

Of course, my older daughter came to pick up the youngest for the cook-out, saw these, and now she also wants some. I'm glad they're quick and easy to make. I do have a lot of cotton yarn left over from a bathmat I made, so I'm going to use some of that and who knows what else! I'll have to dig through the stash and see what pops into my hands!

K---that's all for a while!

Beth

3 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

I am glad you and your daughter had such a special day.

I love those hot pads...I enjoy making them too, each one can be so different and I love using all my scraps and making each one a surprise. I have to check into that Insul-Bright I have been looking for something to go in between them as well.

magnoliasntea said...

Sounds like you had a lovely visit with your daughter. I know about having a child living in another state. :(

I love those hot pads, too! I've never seen the pattern.. Is it one you can share the link or tell me where to get it? Thanks!

sailorcross said...

Tea--

Here's the link for the hotpads which I got courtesy of Aunt Kathy!!

http://www.mielkesfarm.com/diagonal_hotpad.htm

I put the Insul-Bright in for a little extra insulation. Got it at JoAnn Fabrics and it says it reflects the heat from the source. So, I thought I would give it a try.

Thanks for the compliment on the hot pads. They're quick and easy, too--a big plus!!

Beth