Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Freshly Fallen Snow

How many times must I put myself through an inner mind battle before I realize that this is not the way God wants me to live?



How can an innocent word spoken by another trigger reactions and thoughts that will run through my mind--around and around they go--until I feel consumed by the negative and not the positive?



I have had many things occur in my life (from childhood to the present) which have been hurtful, harmful, damaging to me--and my children. I've come to realize that the only person I can change is me. As much as I may pray and wish my children would come to the same realization, they need to do this for themselves.



I've been on a journey these past few months--a forgiveness journey. I've taken several steps forward, a few steps back......



And then last night my Home Group met. We are doing a series called "Life's Healing Choices" by John Baker. The study itself is taught by Rick Warren of Saddleback Church in Southern California.



I had reviewed the DVD by Pastor Rick twice before the meeting. But, as I watched this with the members of the group last night, I realized that I had somehow missed an important point.



And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect....Romans 12:2 (NASB)



Renew my mind!! Take out the garbage that is filling my mind and replace it with God's Word.



I know that I have "tried" Scripture memorization before, and I have failed. But, I want my mind renewed, and more importantly, God wants my mind renewed. He does not want my mind cluttered with events and memories of the past which He has already forgiven. I am the one who is allowing these thoughts to pervade my mind and my life.



How? By giving satan the access to my thought patterns way too easily!!



Again I am going to start memorizing Scripture--filling my mind with God's Word--promises from God--replacing the words from the past with the Word of the present and future.



An excellent idea Pastor Rick had was to write a verse--a promise from God directly to me (and you)--on a 3 x 5 card. On the back of the card, write how this verse applies to my life--a mind transforming process. Reading this every morning, afternoon and bedtime (and whenever needed) will place this into my mind.



Then when those thoughts start assaulting me, they will be replaced by God's Word and love for me. Transformed by the renewing of my mind.....



I do not have the index cards, so a stop will be made on my way home from work today to begin this mind renewal process


My verse for this week:



"No matter how deep the stain of your sins, I can take it out and make you as clean as freshly fallen snow.".....Isaiah 1:18 (LB)



If you'd like to join in memorizing Scripture, just let me know. We can be an encouragement to one another as we renew our minds.



Beth



2 comments:

pam said...

Oh I'm so glad your post wasn't about real snow falling. So cool Beth, so cool what God is doing in you. When we clean ourselves out and we can receive the good stuff and reject the bad so much easier....it is still a work in progress but a clean spiritual house sure helped me. Forgiving, repenting, releasing.....BAH to all that bad. We are women of beauty who are greatly loved by our Father.....now embrace that truth girl!!!!!!

Peggy said...

Blessings Beth,

A visit deserves a return visit, right? But like Pam, not if you have "snow" already? (lol)

I'm a step ahead of you! I started my index cards in the summer when I began this study at home. Ya' see ya' still need Memory Monday ...

I even did a Sunday morning post on this but the internet intercepted me from writing on it... so I just posted Christine Caine's video without my input,"BE IN IT BUT NOT OF IT"
No one commented on this post either at the time but Cathy recently did 'cuz she likes Christine Caine and had written me about her.

Yet I really like your emphasis on this and the cleansing is so good for our soul and our mind. Whiter than snow before the snow!

That's part on GMG and Mondays together... accountability, support, prayer... "Two people are
better than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble... A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back to back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple braided cord is not easily broken." Ecc.4:9-12 NLT...

Transformation...that's for me!!!
The cord is being broken once again at the LOP, and if D. looses internet, than I stand alone, not 1 or 2 or 3 just me, so it will put the Light real dim over there... sorry... but that's how it goes!
No LH keeper, to stand in the gap for others, and I can't do both or all, the stuff, posting and praying. We (I) missed you long ago, but this is the enemy closing the door... temporarily I pray and hope... I know that this was not your "thing" though you do write such eloquent prayers...

I'm so glad to see you sharing from "Life's Healing Choices" and your journey. I only prayer that returning to this memory or at least cards to refresh your mind will keep God's strength before you and make you stronger to face the way the enemy is prowling through your life... no longer your mind.
You have the mind of Christ! Keep it before you... I don't remember which ones I sent you... but I'll try to send them again... Are these verses are the cards that we used last year? Check it out...organize them in order and see if you have Isaiah... I know that there were alot of verses from Isaiah!!!

Love & hugs,
Peggy