Sunday, May 4, 2008

THE GHANA PROJECT

I am so excited I can just about stand myself!!!

I have been praying to God to show me how HE wants me to use my God given talent of knitting and crocheting. I know that this gift was given to me by God. When I was 8 years old, my Dad died. I spent most days after school alone and all day during the summer alone.

My neighbor from across the street, Mrs. Robertson, saw my loneliness. She came to our door one day and asked if I could come to her house to help her with her 3 young children. Being a child, I felt that I was doing her a favor. Now, as an adult, I realize that she was reaching out to me.

I did help her with her children, but she also taught me alot also. She taught me to knit, crochet, sew, cook and many aspects of being a good mother. I picked up the knitting and crocheting like I had been doing this since the day I was born!!

So, I knit, I crochet--and I give almost everything away. As I said earlier, I've been praying about how God wants me to use this talent. Today I received an e-mail from a member of a knitting group that I belong to. I have never heard from her previous to today. I don't even know her.

She pointed me in the direction of the Ghana Project--you just knit 7 inch squares--so many beautiful patterns to choose from--mail to Michigan, and then they are put together into an afghan to send to Ghana to children who are having surgeries, a comfort blankie!!

This is also especially close to me because most of this children are being treated for scoliosis (curvature of the spine). They have had no treatment for this and so require surgery to be corrected.

I also have scoliosis, but having lived in the US, I was able to be treated without surgery and before the damage was too great.

I do have to say that God answers my prayers in some unusual ways sometimes!! And I pray for the doctors, nurses, physical therapists and other volunteers who donate their expertise and time to this project.

Praise and glory to God!!!!

Check out the website if you're interested in helping out. I'm so glad I did!!

http://theghanaproject.wordpress.com/

No comments: